You are here


Request for Travel Advance

You may request a travel advance for expenses incurred prior to a trip. You must submit original receipts with a completed and signed Travel Prior Approval Form.

Payment of Travel

Travelers should return all receipts pertaining to the travel to the department financial assistant within 10 days of the return date. Please include a completed and signed Domestic or Foreign Travel Worksheet with the receipts. A completed worksheet will enable reimbursement vouchers to be processed in a timely manner.

Domestic and Foreign Travel Worksheets

Obtain appropriate approvals and return the form with original receipts to Karen Cisneros or Max McCumber. Receipts for all expenses for which you seek reimbursement are required including, but not limited to:

  • Airline passenger receipts
  • Rental car receipts, rail ticket stubs, bus tickets, taxis
  • Hotel receipts (must be itemized to show nightly rates, applicable taxes, etc.)
  • Conference registration receipts
  • Meal receipts (itemized)

Electronic receipts are acceptable provided that the detail contained therein is equivalent to the level of detail contained in the an acceptable paper record.
Note: For Foreign Travel per diem rates go to the U.S. Federal per diem rates.

Missing Receipts

If you are unable to locate original receipts for your trip, please complete a Declaration of Missing Receipt form with an alternate proof of purchase (i.e. credit card statement showing payment).

Transportation Expenses

Transportation expenses shall be reimbursed based on the most economical mode of transportation and the most commonly traveled route consistent with the authorized purpose of the trip. Transportation tickets should be procured in advance in order to obtain any discounts offered by the carrier or negotiated by the University. Such tickets should be purchased from the campus contract travel agency.

Automobile Travel

Private Vehicles

Travelers may use their private vehicle for business purposes if it is less expensive than renting a car, taking a taxi, or using alternative transportation, or if it saves time. See the Policy for limitations on private vehicle use.

Mileage Expenses

Mileage shall ordinarily be computed between the traveler’s headquarters and the common carrier or destination. Expenses for travel between the traveler’s residence and headquarters (commuting expense) shall not be allowed. However, mileage expenses may be allowed between the traveler’s residence and the common carrier or destination if University business travel originates or terminates before or after the traveler’s working hours, or if travel originates or terminates during a regularly scheduled day off.

Mileage Reimbursement Rate

The cost of meals and lodging, parking, mileage, tolls, taxis, and ferries incurred while in transit by surface transportation may be reimbursed. Such costs shall not exceed the cost of airfare, based on the lower of the regular coach fare available for the location of travel from a standard commercial air carrier or the campus travel program fare, plus transportation costs to and from the terminals. See the Policy for limitations on the use of surface transportation in lieu of air travel.

Rental Cars

A vehicle may be rented when renting would be more advantageous to the University than other means of commercial transportation, such as using a taxi. Advance reservations should be made whenever possible and a compact or economy model requested. The traveler is responsible for obtaining the best available rate commensurate with the requirements of the trip. The discount negotiated with car rental agencies by the University should be requested when available. Travelers are expected to use rental agencies with which the University has contracts that include insurance coverage. On contract rental vehicles used in the continental Unites States, charges for additional insurance are not allowable, including any charge for a collision damage waiver. The rental agency’s University identification number should be given to the agency at the time of rental in order to ensure that the vehicle is covered by physical damage insurance. Except for State of California pool cars, vehicle rental charges billed directly to the University shall not be authorized. Rental car charges should be paid with the traveler’s corporate credit card.

Miscellaneous Automobile-related Expenses

Charges for ferries, bridges, tunnels, or toll roads may be claimed by the vehicle operator.
Reasonable charges for parking while an employee is on travel status or on University business away from regular duties will be allowed as specified in the Policy.

Air Travel

Coach class or any discounted class airfare shall be used in the interest of economy. The use of business or first-class or other higher cost services may be authorized only under the circumstances listed in the Policy. The State of California contracts for city-pairs with domestic airlines. University travelers can arrange travel between 284 city pairs at discounted fares offered under contracts with Southwest and United Airlines.

Other Forms of Transportation

Rail or bus transportation may be used when required by the destination or by business necessity. If a traveler’s destination is served by a regularly scheduled airline, the use of rail transportation shall be reimbursed in accordance with the procedures specified under Surface Transportation in Lieu of Air Travel. Local public transportation is allowed; taxi fares, including tips, are allowed only when the use of public transportation or airport shuttle service is impractical or unavailable.